Current:Home > StocksOliver James Montgomery-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Zenith Money Vision
Oliver James Montgomery-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:59:28
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Oliver James Montgomeryagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (717)
Related
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Obama: Trump Cannot Undo All Climate Progress
- Ryan Seacrest Twins With Girlfriend Aubrey Paige During Trip to France
- Machine Gun Kelly and Megan Fox Are Invincible During London Date Night
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- “We Found Love” With These 50% Off Deals From Fenty Beauty by Rihanna: Don’t Miss the Last Day to Shop
- Coal Ash Is Contaminating Groundwater in at least 22 States, Utility Reports Show
- Montana Republicans are third state legislators to receive letters with mysterious white powder
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- On Baffin Island in the Fragile Canadian Arctic, an Iron Ore Mine Spews Black Carbon
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Tribe Says Army Corps Stonewalling on Dakota Access Pipeline Report, Oil Spill Risk
- ARPA-E on Track to Boost U.S. Energy, Report Says. Trump Wants to Nix It.
- New Study Shows Global Warming Increasing Frequency of the Most-Destructive Tropical Storms
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Cheer's Morgan Simianer Marries Stone Burleson
- Transcript: Cindy McCain on Face the Nation, June 25, 2023
- Beginning of the End for Canada’s Tar Sands or Just a Blip?
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
New federal rules will limit miners' exposure to deadly disease-causing dust
Here's who controls the $50 billion opioid settlement funds in each state
National Governments Are Failing on Clean Energy in All but 3 Areas, IEA says
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Trump’s ‘Energy Dominance’ Push Ignores Some Important Realities
South Portland’s Tar Sands Ban Upheld in a ‘David vs. Goliath’ Pipeline Battle
U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Block Exxon Climate Fraud Investigation